20 August 2009

Volleyball with the Marines....



This picture looks a little better than the real life version..

So last night was the volleyball and swimming party. I played volleyball all night because i joined a team of marines that refused to lose. We lost one game, and then, because of the loss, we had to win at least two more games in order to regain our glory.... By the end of the night, there was a knot growing on my palm and I could not move my thumb. I iced it a bit, which helped a lot, and now its just some nasty looking bruising. It was fun though. I got to sweat a little bit, which is something I cant seem to stop doing here...

Work is going well. We are usually busy in the morning, taking people's visa applications and such. The afternoons are more relaxed, sometimes with nothing to do.

Tomorrow I get to attend a press briefing. Pretty excited to see some action in the other sections. Consular is fun, but not exactly thought provoking. The people I work with are being really nice though and trying to let me see all of the Embassy operations.

Today I found out what would happen if there is ever a dangerous situation at the Embassy. One of the guards accidentally hit the button that sounds the 'Duck and Cover' alarm. It was lunch time and I was in the cafeteria when all of the sudden I hear 'Duck and cover. Get away from the windows' along with a siren. I assumed it was a drill, but apparently you get an email warning about those. The other people that moved to the hallway with me were all saying things like 'interesting, did I not get an email or something?' or 'must be something really happening..' For me, hearing this kind of thing is not exactly reassuring, but they did not seem to be too worried. And, in the end, it was nothing. Just a little extra entertainment for the day.

Tomorrow is Friday and I could not be happier. I am greatly looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday morning. Sunday, the marines are going to a local go-kart raceway and having some sort of race there. That should be interesting. Apparently the place is called 'Daytona Raceway' or something like that. Its amazing how much American stuff is here.

And one last picture for you guys. This is the view from the back of my hostel. You can see the Turkish side of the island. That block of lights is actually the Turkish flag on a mountain side. You can find that kind of thing all over Turkey, but I think this one was strategically placed so as to be a flashing reminder to the Greek Cypriots..



No comments: