13 May 2009

Big Adventure


So today, I went on a mission with two of my roommates. The mission: find bagels and cheesecake.

I saw an ad for a place called California Bakery. It was promoting a new addition to the menu: Philadelphia cream cheese. Needless to say...I was in the mood for a little taste of America. So, we set off.

We took the bus from our house to the metro (a normal, daily activity). Then, we got off the at the metro stop that happens to be where the US Consulate is, so I know it quite well... We had to find another bus, so I asked the Consulate police. I am pretty sure they remembered me. We finally found the bus stop, and waited (and took some pictures).

We got to the Bakery and literally "oooh"-ed and "ahh"-ed. Among various other items, we saw pancakes, chocolate pie, double chocolate cake, banana chocolate cake, chocolate pear pie, cheery pie, etc... There were also quiches, sandwiches and hamburgers. Even though the goal of this trip was bagels, none of us got bagels... There was a delicious looking sandwich which we all got a piece of, along with some sort of chocolate dessert.

The sandwich had fresh mozzarella, tomatos, eggplant, lettuce, and pesto. It was very, very tastey. I think I ate it too quickly, but it was just so delicious. I also had a piece of chocolate pie, which I must say pailed in comparison to Ukrops chocolate fudge pie. I was a bit disappointed, I have to admit.

So after we had lunch, we decided to try and do a little suovenir shopping. For those of you who do not know, Milano is not a very touristy city. The stereotypical Italian tourist stuff just can not be found here. Makes life a little hard for those of us who cannot afford to travel all over Italy.

Anyways, we headed to the most touristy spot available, the Duomo. There are usually little kiosks selling fake jerseys and Venetian masks and such. I was going to buy some key chains, but...they were 3 Euro a piece (about 5 dollars). I am hoping I can find cheaper else where.

Needless to say, souvenir shopping failed, so we resorted to the next best thing. Shopping for ourselves... I finally splurged and bought a pair of shoes. They happen to be bright yellow and I attract a lot of attention, or I attract more attention than I normally do, but they are totally worth it. I decided that since I missed out on the ticket to America, I could stand to spend a few dollars on a new pair of shoes.

We also decided to play in the sculpture near the Duomo. There are lots of mirrors in there. Makes for great photo opportunities.

In other news, I have one more exam and then I am done for the semester. I have not heard anything new about the internship. Hopefully I will know something in another week or so.

No comments: